The SeQual Eclipse 5 is the latest version of the popular SeQual Eclipse, which was first introduced in 2006. An early addition to the portable oxygen concentrator market, the SeQual Eclipse was the first concentrator to offer oxygen patients continuous flow in a portable unit. When first introduced, SeQual’s portable unit was named Eclipse “because it surpasses all other battery-operated oxygen concentrators on the market today with its continuous flow feature,” said Jim Bixby, SeQual Chairman and CEO at the time.
The SeQual Eclipse was also the first continuous flow portable oxygen concentrator to receive approval by the FDA and became the “predicate device” for all POCs that have followed.
Now over seven years later, the Eclipse still surpasses all other portable oxygen concentrators. Although other continuous flow concentrators have been introduced over the years, the SeQual Eclipse remains the most powerful unit available. The SeQual Eclipse offers continuous flow from 0.5 to 3 LPM and the greatest amount of oxygen at all pulse flow settings:
Regular pulse settings:
Setting 1 = 16 milliliters
Setting 2 = 32 milliliters
Setting 3 = 48 milliliters
Setting 4 = 64 milliliters
Setting 5 = 80 milliliters
Setting 6 = 96 milliliters
Extended pulse settings (not available in any other POC):
The SeQual Eclipse 5 also offers other features not found in other portable concentrators:
- autoSat Technology – maintains a consistent pulse dose volume for every breath even when your respiratory rate changes (most other portable concentrators provide a minute-volume delivery in which you receive a smaller dose of oxygen when your breathing rate increases)
- Adjustable Rise Time – allows you to change how quickly the pulse oxygen is delivered to better coincide with your breathing cycle – Fast, Medium, and Slow
- Adjustable Pulse Dose sensitivity settings
The Eclipse 5 comes standard with AC and DC adapters for use in the home and car, one lithium-ion battery, a wheeled cart with a large wheelbase and retractable handle, and an accessory case. Optional accessories include a desktop battery charger, protective weather cover, a wheelchair holder, a humidifier adapter kit, and a deluxe travel case.
According to Caire, the new manufacturer of the SeQual Eclipse, the Eclipse 5 has upgraded internal components that will provide greater reliability and the most welcome feature, full use on DC power in the car. Previously, the Eclipse 3 would only allow up to 2 LPM continuous flow in the car and would not charge the battery. The Eclipse 5 works on all flow settings in the car, and as long as the car has leftover power to give to the Eclipse, it will charge the battery that is in the Eclipse.
SeQual Eclipse 5 – What I like about it:
- It is powerful. Nothing beats the Eclipse 5 in terms of oxygen output.
- It is dependable. The Eclipse 5 is an old model made better. By sticking with the same model for so many years, SeQual (now owned by Caire) has been able to focus on making improvements. This had made the Eclipse 5 one of the most reliable units on the market today.
- It is the most versatile in terms of oxygen delivery. With continuous flow settings up to 3 LPM, pulse settings up to 6, and super settings up to 192 mL per breath, the Eclipse 5 can meet the needs of most oxygen patients. Even when there are tricky breathing issues, the adjustable rise time and pulse dose sensitivity make the Eclipse 5 the most clinically effective POC on the market.
- Unlike its predecessor, the Eclipse 3, the new Eclipse 5 can be used in an automobile at all flow settings and will charge the battery.
SeQual Eclipse 5 – What I wish were better:
- Of course, I wish the Eclipse 5 were smaller and lighter. At eighteen pounds, the Eclipse 5 is difficult, and almost impossible, for people who are frail or have a small frame to pick up and maneuver. The new SeQual eQuinox will help a little with a weight of only 14 pounds, but it will be an entirely new unit that will have to prove its dependence and reliability.
All-in-all, if the size and weight is not a hindrance, I would heartily recommend the SeQual Eclipse 5 for those will higher oxygen needs.